[BusyBox] (fwd) BSS Bitpicking

Larry Doolittle ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Tue Jul 1 02:31:43 UTC 2003

someone lost in the bowels of the world's mail forwarding systems wrote:
> The default i386 linux busybox build (May 25 snapshot) has ~27k of BSS area
> mainly contributed by 10k each from ash and gzip, 4k from syslogd and 2k
> from decompress_bunzip.
>
> [chop details]
>
> Sharing the large arrays as globals should allow reducing the total.
> [chop] Is this worth doing?

We had a _very_ long discussion about this on the busybox list in January 2001.
Titles include titled "supported targets", "choice for reserving buffers".
In the config file, you have the choice of BSS, stack, and malloc.
You sound like you want something other than BB_FEATURE_BUFFERS_GO_IN_BSS,
most likely the default, malloc.

       - Larry