[BusyBox] init problem

Mark and Janice Juszczec juszczec at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 14:14:04 UTC 2003

Hi folks

I'm working with a Helio PDA running mipsel-linux.

I'm using:

linux kernel 2.4.0-test1-acc22 precompiled for me
glibc v? precompiled for me
BusyBox 0.60.1 precompiled for me with glibc
uClibc 0.9.16 compiled by me with mipsel-gcc 2.95.2
BusyBox 0.60.1 compiled by me with uClibc 0.9.16

/etc/inittab containing 1 line ttyS0::askfirst:/bin/sh

I put the kernel, glibc, glibc based BusyBox and the above /etc/inittab on
the Helio.  The kernel boots, I get a BusyBox version number message, a
BusyBox init started message and then get a shell prompt on the serial
console.

When I put the kernel, uClibc, uClibc based BusyBox
and the above /etc/inittab on the Helio the kernel boots.  But I do not get
the BusyBox messages (version or init started) or a shell prompt.

I even went as far as to throw a "HI THERE" message in init.c main_init
hoping it might go to the pda screen.  I saw nothing.

Can any of the gurus give some advice about how to get figure out what's
wrong?

Thanks

Mark