[BusyBox] Gunzip/Tar problems

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Mon Jan 27 16:49:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:06:01 -0500
Joshua Jackson <busybox at vortech.net> wrote:

> Just curious if anyone had addressed or figured out what the problem
> was with tar/gunzip. What I am currently seeing is a tar xzf file.tgz
> will only unpack a portion of the tar file.  On very small archives,
> they simply report being corrupt (invalid tar magic) - even though the
> archives are known good.
>
> The really odd thing is that the command:
>
> tar -tvzf file.tgz
>
> Will show all of the archive contents OK and report that the archive
> is alright, however:
>
> tar -xvzf file.tgz
>
> Will unpack the first 2 files and then report an "invalid tar magic".

hmm, previously io had been unable to reproduce the problems with tar
and gz.

I still dont get "invalid tar magic".

busybox compiled against glibc i get the following.

modules.tgz gives me the invalid tar magic, config.tgz only unpacks the
first 2 files and the exits without error, the rest seem to work fine.

Now that i can reproduce the problem i should be able to fix it.

Thanks

Glenn