[BusyBox] modprobe and depmod.pl issues in development version

Andrew Dennison andrew.dennison at motec.com.au
Thu Jan 23 23:59:03 UTC 2003

The development version of modprobe seems to have issues with loading
modules that have dependencies AND the dependency is already loaded (at
least in my experimental system). The modules load ok but modprobe reports
failure. modprobe in busybox-0.60.5 works fine for me on the same system.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or should I put on my debugging hat:)
Symptoms are as follows:

##******** This works ***********
# modprobe yenta_socket
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/yenta_socket.o
# lsmod

yenta_socket            8460   0
pcmcia_core            33376   0 [yenta_socket]
# modprobe -r yenta_socket
# lsmod

##******** This REPORTS failure but works ***********
# modprobe pcmcia_core
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o
# modprobe yenta_socket
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/yenta_socket.o
modprobe: failed to load module yenta_socket
# lsmod

yenta_socket            8460   0
pcmcia_core            33376   0 [yenta_socket]
##******** I can continue to load dependent modules ***********
##** in each case failure is reported but the modules load ****
# modprobe ds
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/ds.o
modprobe: failed to load module ds
# modprobe pcnet_cs
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/ds.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/8390.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o
modprobe: failed to load module pcnet_cs
# lsmod

pcnet_cs                9620   0 (unused)
8390                    5512   0 [pcnet_cs]
ds                      6124   0 [pcnet_cs]
yenta_socket            8460   4
pcmcia_core            33376   0 [pcnet_cs ds yenta_socket]
#

The behaviour is the same with modules.dep generated with either the binary
depmod or depmod.pl.

While doing these experiments I also noticed a minor problem with depmod.pl.

The depmod.pl source has the following example for use:

Example:

        depmod.pl -F linux/System.map target/lib/modules

However I found that while -F is documented and can be specified on the
command line, depmod.pl makes no use of this parameter. The option -k MUST
be used, ie.
##this fails
#examples/depmod.pl -F /mnt/cpc/boot/System.map -b
/mnt/cpc/lib/modules/2.4.19/
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at examples/depmod.pl line
76.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at examples/depmod.pl line
79.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at examples/depmod.pl line
85.

##this works
#examples/depmod.pl -k /mnt/cpc/boot/vmlinux -b /mnt/cpc/lib/modules/2.4.19/

Andrew