[BusyBox] tar problems (once again)

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Mon Jan 13 04:45:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:20:57 +0200 (IST)
Michael Sternberg <michael at dragon.boscom.com> wrote:

> > XPASS: tar-handles-cz-options

> XFAIL: tar-handles-cz-options

Not quite the same result, this indicates there is a problem creating
compressed archives.

> ~> tar ztvf x.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 0/0         0 2003-01-13 13:16:09 test.txt
> tar: Short read
> ~> echo $?
> 1

> Tar is working wonderful, its just its exit code
> that I'm complaining about.

You should not get the message "tar: Short read", that sets the exit
code to 1.
That error message most likely means tar is trying to read more bytes
but the internal gunzip cant provide them.

Could you send me the x.tar.gz so i can look at it further.

You could also try and isolate the problem by creating x.tar.gz with the
official tar and trying to extract with bb, and also doing it the other
way around.

Does it work correctly without using compression ?

Thanks

Glenn