[BusyBox] Busybox init with devfs, shmfs, and pivot_root

Thomas Lundquist lists at zelow.no
Sat Jan 11 07:39:03 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 02:17:18PM +0000, Laurence Anderson wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem. The problem seems to be that linuxrc doesn't
> get PID 1, therefore neither does init. This is because of some kernel root
> swapper process, used to support the old linuxrc mechanism.

but I am kinda using the old linuxrc mechanism?

(my /linuxrc is a script which then execs /sbin/init)

> The way I solved it was to have the kernel command line:
>
> linux init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0

sure you need that root=/dev/ram0 ?

my problem aint that /linuxrc isn't run. it's that it can't
exec /sbin/init.

I'm still kinda puzzled but you may be correct in that /sbin/init
needs PID 1 and I'll have to do something else here in that case.

Thomas.