[BusyBox] Re: httpd applet patches

Glenn Engel at Home glenne at engel.org
Fri Jan 10 23:50:05 UTC 2003

Vladimir N. Oleynik said:
> Glenn,
>
>> Your URL mods may have to go or be tweaked as you cannot assume the
>> first letter will always be a slash or that a slash is even present,
>> causing your strrchr search to return null followed by bus error.
>
> I can`t reproduce this. You have realy test?

This might be all right as I didn't catch the explicit check for leading
'/' my first scan thru.

After a quick look though I have several other concerns:

It no longer compiles with -DHTTPD_STANDALONE.  My goal is to not make
this dependant on busybox but a generic server that works without busybox.

There are numerous -Wall messages now in the code.

The -e changes are not appropriate at all.  The -d option decodes a
url-encoded string while the -e option encodes an html escaped string.  It
is important to note that browers dont know what do do with url-encoding
withing html and will render strings with your changes incorrectly.  The
point of -e is to allow scripts to encode strings that get stuck back into
html forms and thus the original encode routine is necessary.

The bss and data segments have grown considerably.  Ideally these should
be 0 to avoid excessive memory requirements when the applet is not in use.
 The text segment has also grown 8%.

However, I like some of the changes so I'll attempt to integrate as much
as I can over the next week.  Some may become part of conditionals to keep
the size down.

--
Glenn