[BusyBox] udhcp: FQDN within DHCP requests

Allan (reply to lists only) allan-exp-20030120 at chickenandporn.com
Fri Jan 10 09:39:03 UTC 2003

Stephan;

It sounds like you want a Dynamic DNS Update:

1) busybox DHCP asks for an IP
2) DHCP server gives it a hostname, IP, netmask, defaultroute, etc
3) DHCP updates DNS server's dynamic zone, saying:
   "client-12-31 is now 192.168.1.33"
4) DNS server stores and offers to clients the new A and PTR record:
   "client-12-31.dynamic.abccheese.com IN A 192.168.1.33"

This can be done in an RFC-compliant manner.

If this is not what you want, perhaps you need to tell us what "It would
be Windows-like" means.  What functionality, what action, does the
client now want to do that your system cannot do without DHCP updating
DNS server?

Allan Clark
(Will be at NRF in NYC, Jacob Javits, 2003-01-13/01-14)