[BusyBox] bug#1299: telnetd causes prompt twice on Windows telnet client

Siebe Gjalt Ytsma siebe at valkyr.demon.nl
Tue Feb 4 05:48:38 UTC 2003

Package: busybox
Version: 0.61pre
Severity: grave

The bug reproduces itself when I connect from a Windows computer to the
embedded device with the Windows telnet client or other telnet client
(Putty for example). In stead of 1 prompt I get two in return.
This causes very serious problems with our application. Our application
has been ported from vxWorks to Mvista Linux and contains its own login
manager for compatibility reasons with the old vxWorks programs. But now
we can't fill in the password for a user because the Enter key returns
twice.

I have looked into the code of the telnet server. To my surprise I can't
find any \r of \n in the buffered stream of characters that is going
back to the telnet client on windows. Probably there are some additional
options that need to be negotiated with the client during connection to
the telnet server.

Regards,
Siebe G. Ytsma
Imtech ICT Technical Systems