[BusyBox] 1.0.0-pre4 build failure (vconfig)

Charlie Brady charlieb-busybox at e-smith.com
Thu Dec 18 15:37:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Nick Fedchik wrote:

> > /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc -I./include -Wall
> > -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshadow -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -D_GNU_SOURCE
> > -DNDEBUG   -Os  -c -o networking/vconfig.o networking/vconfig.c
> > networking/vconfig.c:30:27: linux/if_vlan.h: No such file or directory
> > networking/vconfig.c:52: `ADD_VLAN_CMD' undeclared here (not in a
> > function)
> > networking/vconfig.c:52: initializer element is not constant
> > networking/vconfig.c:52: (near initialization for `cmds[1]')
> > networking/vconfig.c:54: `DEL_VLAN_CMD' undeclared here (not in a
> > function)
> >
> > My build system is RH 7.3 based and /usr/include/linux comes from the
> > glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16 RPM, and doesn't contain if_vlan.h. I don't
> > where I should configure the path to my kernel source.
>
> It's not a Busybox problem.

No, it is a busybox build problem.

> Your kernel is very old.

The kernel I am currently running on the build host is not relevant. I
have kernel source installed which is later, which has vlan support, and
which is relevant to my build target. But there's no way for me to tell
the busybox build system where to find those kernel headers.

> Anyway if_vlan should be present in kernel headers, it's not a glibc-related
> header.

Correct.

> You shoul patch your kernel by vlan kernel patches, or get a latest kernel
> version.

I have later kernel source.

> Latest kernels have vlan support included and need no any additional patches.

I don't need patches, I do need a mechanism to tell the busybox build
where to find the kernel source. It shouldn't assume that
/usr/include/linux contains headers relevant to my target host.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

--
Charlie