[BusyBox] Ash memory question/problem

Jeff Angielski jeff at theptrgroup.com
Tue Dec 16 06:09:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 18:26, David Meggy wrote:
> Hi Jeff
>
> You haven't narrowed your problem down very well at all.  The increase
> use of memory could be from any process in the system, or from the
> kernel.  It is hard to blame busybox, when you don't check the memory
> use of the busybox process.  You can use basic tools like ps or top to
> do this.  Or if you are on a really small embedded system, you can take
> a look at the busybox process directly by running cat on /proc/#/status,
> where # is the process number of busybox.
>
> David

I was not really blaming Busybox for the problem.  I am just trying to
find out if anybody has seen this problem with the DENX ELDK 2.1 root
filesystem and Busybox.

I agree that it could be any number of things causing the memory leak.
I just thought it was wierd that with very little running (famous last
words!), "cat /proc/meminfo" shows a 4k loss.  If I put the cat in a
loop, it shows a 4k loss each iteration until we hit the low water mark
for the low mem region.  "free" as well as other commands do the same
thing.

Incidentally, I am using a 2.4.18 kernel.

I also asked since somebody else had reported similiar findings but I
saw no resolution to the problem:

http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2003-October/009472.html