[BusyBox] problem linking with libcrypt

Gad bugchong at tpg.com.au
Fri Dec 12 13:06:42 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've had this problem before, with pre1 and uClibc 0.9.20, but I'm still
getting it with BB 1-pre4 and uClibc 0.9.23.

Busybox won't compile:

./libbb/libbb.a(pw_encrypt.o)(.text+0x9): In function `pw_encrypt':
: undefined reference to `crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [busybox] Error 1

This happens when I've chosen functionality that uses passwords (like
support for shadow passwords or vlock). When I remove that in the config
file, it compiles fine.

Before you jump on me, I've checked that libcrypt from uClibc actually
does exist in the correct path, and I've added -lcrypt to the compiler
flags in the configuration for BB.

Any ideas will be welcome.

Cheers,
Gad