[BusyBox] followup on mount oddity from my previous email

Glenn McGrath bug1 at iinet.com.au
Fri Dec 12 10:24:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 04:54:59 -0500 (EST)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

> 1) where is this config option "shell applets always win".  i just
>    went through the entire config menu for 1.00-pre4 and didn't see
>    something like this.

* Another Bourne-like Shell
*   Standalone shell
*     Standalone shell -- applets always win

> 3) finally, i'm not sure what the option described above would do.
>    if i have a capability like "mount" built into BB, but the "mount"
>    command actually exists as a real executable on my search path, how
>    would the BB mount *ever* take precedence?  unless my actual login
>    shell is a link to busybox that can handle that, that is.  if my
>    login shell is a legitimate, separate executable, i'm assuming that
>    there's no way an internal BB applet could possibly override an
>    external executable.  do i understand that correctly?

It does only works for busybox shells.

"Standalone shell" means that the busybox shell can access all busybox
functions as if they were builtin, similar in concept to bash builtin
functions.

"Standalone shell -- applets always win" means that if there is a
builtin busybox applet and a seperate binary of the same name, when the
shell decides which one to use the applet will "win" and be executed.

Glenn