[BusyBox] followup on mount oddity from my previous email

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 11 22:25:31 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Thursday 11 December 2003 15:31, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > > [---------snip---------]

> > > I suspect you have CONFIG_FEATURE_MTAB_SUPPORT disabled, and
> > > you system is setup expecting it to be enabled,
> >
> > um ... ok, one of the other respondents suggested it should be *off*.
> > i'll try it both ways and see what happens.
>
> Presumably, if support for it is off, it shouldn't try to modify it.  (Unless
> one of your scripts is doing that.  The above looks like rm and ln are being
> called on /etc/mtab on a filesystem that's mounted read only.  Presumably, ln
> is being called to link it to /proc/mounts, but shouldn't the link be part of
> the read only filesystem already, rather than set up by the init scripts
> (which can't modify a read only filesystem?))
>
> I'm still not quite sure what the problem you're having is, because I haven't
> seen your system.  All I know is it smells like you don't want real mtab
> support, or you probably wouldn't be calling ln to create /etc/mtab...

i've tried it both ways (with and without mtab support), same error either
way.  and remember, the boot process worked fine with a pre-built 0.60.2
version of busybox, and now doesn't work so well with my home-rolled
version of 1.00-pre4.  sadly, i don't have the config file from the
earlier version, but it certainly seems safe to conclude that there's
*some* option that doesn't match between the two builds that would be the
cause of all this, no?  i've tried tweaking several different settings to
no avail.

rday