[BusyBox] tar problem with large (300MB) files

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 29 13:09:24 UTC 2003

> my busybox-tar crashes with "tar -xvf some.tar" when the file has a
> size of about 300 MByte.
> It tells something about GLIBC and "fprint" or "fprintf" - I haven't
> noticed the exact text, sorry.
> And then I have to push the reset switch.
>
> On several machines (586 with 32 MByte RAM) it always crashes at the
> same time (at the same file).
>
> Sometimes (in 2 of about 14 tries) it doesn't crash - don't know why.
>
> Maybe it will crash with smaller files - I have seen this behaviour
> with a file of this size.
> The "real" tar does work without any problem.

I just extracted a 1GB tar archive with a problem.

I would like to know some precise details if currect CVS still hehaves
in this way.

What type of file was a craching on, if you try and extract archive
created with GNU tar extensions with the option to support GNU
extensions it will stop, there are also some peculiarities when handling
files creating  with the tar -o option (old GNU format)

I am not aware of any current problem though.

Glenn