[BusyBox] tinylogin/busybox

John Williams jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 18 07:47:52 UTC 2003

Hi folks,

I've got busybox and tiny login enabled on my microblaze uClinux setup,
and in inittab I have an entry running "getty -l /bin/login ttyS1 57600"

I hook up a terminal to this tty and it displays "mbvanilla login:",
however I am unable to login in.  I enter "root", and it thinks about
things for a second then repeats the login prompt.  No "Login incorrect"
messages.  The cpu is definitely doing something - the load heads
towards 1.0 during this period.

However, if from the console shell I manually type "login" I can
successfully login as root or bin or any of the other users defined in
my /etc/passwd file.  'whoami' confirms the new username.  Also, if I
give a bogus username and passwd it detects it and won't let me in.

So, what's going on here?  getty seems to work, login seems to work, and
ttyS1 seems to work.  but the combo of all 3 is failing silently.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John