[BusyBox] newbie trouble cross-linking Busybox for ARM target with uClibc

Brett Stewart brett.stewart at acumera.net
Sun Aug 10 19:29:33 UTC 2003

Forgot to mention that I am using the 1.00-pre2 busybox

Hi List;

perhaps someone can help me with getting set up to use these excellent
tools.

I am attempting to build Busybox for an ARM922T (ARM9TDMI) based system.

First I use the /skiff... toolchain

Then I build uClibc-0.9.20
 I observed strangeness (to me anyway) on 'make install' in that the
$(DEVEL_PREFIX)/bin directory was populated only with arm-uclibc-ldd,
none of the other tools - so cp -s'd them from the extra/... directory
tree where they seem to have been built

Then I build Busybox and fail on link step thusly:
===
/ATS/mysw/uClibc/uClibc-0.9.20/_dev/bin/arm-uclibc-gcc -s
-Wl,-warn-common --static -o busybox ./applets/applets.a
./archival/archival.a ./archival/libunarchive/libunarchive.a
./coreutils/coreutils.a ./console-tools/console-tools.a
./debianutils/debianutils.a ./editors/editors.a ./findutils/findutils.a
./init/init.a ./miscutils/miscutils.a ./modutils/modutils.a
./networking/networking.a ./networking/libiproute/libiproute.a
./networking/udhcp/udhcp.a ./procps/procps.a ./loginutils/loginutils.a
./shell/shell.a ./sysklogd/sysklogd.a ./util-linux/util-linux.a
./libpwdgrp/libpwdgrp.a ./coreutils/libcoreutils/libcoreutils.a
./libbb/libbb.a
arm-linux-gcc: arm-linux-uclibc/lib/crti.o: No such file or directory
arm-linux-gcc: arm-linux-uclibc/lib/crt1.o: No such file or directory
arm-linux-gcc: arm-linux-uclibc/lib/crtn.o: No such file or directory
make: *** [busybox] Error 1
===
well, those .o's are there

Someone want to hint where I flubbed the configuration steps?
Is there some arcana to how to set the path prefixes in the uClibc step
when cross-compiling?

Thanks in advance.
--
Brett Stewart <brett.stewart at acumera.net>