[BusyBox] bug#1296: [patch] syslogd cmd line switch to rotate /var/log/messages

Ludovic Drolez ludovic.drolez at freealter.com
Tue Aug 5 09:47:26 UTC 2003

> I dont see this feature in upstream syslogd and the -s is used for
> something else.
> On debian there is a logrotate command which does what you describe.

Yes but it's a ten lines patch very useful.
I only see advantages:
- 15 lines of added code
- In embedded environements you *always* need to keep the size of log
files small
- Why installing logrotate to rotate only one file ? (and crond)
- Takes much less space than logrotate (a few bytes vs 30KB, plus the
space needed to install crond !)
- No configuration file needed only a command line option
- And most important for embedded systems: logrotate runs only one time
per day so if logs fill the filesystem, you can crash your system. With
this small patch the size of the logs is verified each time a line is
output.

If you want you can replace '-s' by '-S'.

Cheers,

Ludovic DROLEZ

PS: I cannot post to the BTS, I get the following error:
<1296 at bugs.busybox.net>: host bugs.busybox.net[166.70.99.138] said: 550
    <1296 at bugs.busybox.net>: User unknown in local recipient table