[BusyBox] Help! Booting NFS with ARM using shared libraries

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Apr 15 21:19:57 UTC 2003

On Tue Apr 15, 2003 at 01:08:58PM -0700, yukwing.li at conexant.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have been playing with busybox to do NFS boot for a while.  I was able
> to do it on my MIPS platform using shared libraries.  However, when I
> tried to do the same thing on my ARM's platform, I got error message from
> init saying "init: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot
> open shared object file".  If I build busybox with the DOSTATIC flag on,
> then the ARM platform will boot just fine.  Here are my questions:

Looks like the shared lib loader is unable to locate
the glibc shared library....

> 1.  Can I assume there is nothing wrong with my libraries since busybox
> does work in static build?

Yes.

> 2.  If my libraries are OK, does that mean busybox cannot find my lib,
> which sits in <nfs root>/lib?
> 3.  Where does busybox look for shared libraries?

BusyBox does not look for shared libraries, that is the shared
library loader's job.  The shared library loader for glibc on arm
is the symlink /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (which should point to
something like /lib/ld-2.3.1.so).  So at a minimum, you will
need

    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> ld-<glibc version>.so
    /lib/ld-<glibc version>.so
    /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-<glibc version>.so
    /lib/libc-<glibc version>.so

You will probably need to install additional libraries....

 -Erik