[BusyBox] RFC: giving respawn init actions a controlling tty?

Allan Clark allanc at sco.com
Mon Sep 30 17:10:03 UTC 2002

Erik;

I would prefer that busybox look at the <tty> in the configfile line to
see if a controlling tty is necessary, and if so, grab the tty as
needed.  Doing this implicitly allows for the existing config file
format, and provides the functionality that people seem to think is
already there... the assumed behavior might just be the intuitive one.

I mean, that's the way I use busybox init -- exactly as the sample
inittab shows in the documentation:

> tty2::askfirst:/bin/sh
> tty3::askfirst:/bin/sh
> tty4::askfirst:/bin/sh

I would recommend something that still permits this semi-intuitive
usage.

The presence of a "ttyX::respawn:" is really the same thing as saying
"::interactive-respawn:", right?  If we didn't want an interactive tty,
we'd not ask for one?

This also lets you avoid inventing "interactive-askfirst".

Allan