[BusyBox] tar problem

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Sat Sep 14 05:06:03 UTC 2002

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:42:19 +0800
Brad Campbell <brad at seme.com.au> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> After a frustrating night trying to use busybox to clone a laptop
> hard disk over the network, I have found an incompatibility with
> GNU tar 1.13.25 (Debian Woody) and busybox CVS tar.
>
> I used GNU tar to archive a complete partition (-cvzf).
> In my /var/lib/apt/lists dir I have some very long filenames.
> On un-archiving (-xvzf) with Busybox tar, it exits with no error
> message, just an odd dir entry (Actually tested with last nights CVS and
> it does give an error "tar: Invalid tar header checksum")
>

> 0--------- 0/0    107 Jan 1 1970 ././@LongLink
>
> This causes busybox to exit and of course I can't unarchive the
> partition.
>
> I have a 160k archive that contains the contents of my
> /var/lib/apt/lists and also one file at /tracks/cvs/busybox/INSTALL.

(ive been away for 2 weeks)

Support for GNU long filenames is something thats been on my TODO list for
ages, i had a look at it recently and its only a minor change, need to do
some more tests on it though.

Currently (bb in CVS) the maximum length is 155 Bytes for the path and
upto 100 for the filename, however gnu tar puts the path and filename in
the filename section and anything over 100 chars will go into the GNU
style long filename.

star can create tar archives that use the path component of the tar
header.

Glenn