[BusyBox] Problem with starting the init process

k.s.sathish at delphiauto.com k.s.sathish at delphiauto.com
Fri Oct 18 07:43:03 UTC 2002

Hello All,

I am new to this group. I am working on porting Linux kernel 2.4.18, to a
Aspen/Tahoe board.

I have the kernel up and running with the bash prompt. ( from bash-2.05b).

As a next step i wanted to use busybox, hence i downloaded version
busybox-0.60.4 and placed all the binaries in the ramdisk.

When the point comes to /sbin/init , i see no output on my console.

I am attaching my /etc/inittab file .

# This is run first except when booting in single-user mode.
#::sysinit:/etc/inIt.d/rcS
console:3:initdefault:
console::sysinit:/bin/bash
ttySC1::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty1::askfirst:-/bin/

Note: To check whether the busybox binaries were built properly or not  and
executable , i made the bash program as the /sbin/init. Once onto bash , i tried
to execute all the binaries of busybox, and there was no failure.

Please let me know if there is something wrong in my inittab file creation ,
which i guess should be the problem.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sathish

Advanced Software Engineer (MMM)