[BusyBox] What's the purpose of BB_FEATURE_LINUXRC??? == Initrd

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Fri Oct 18 07:40:03 UTC 2002

"John van V." wrote:

> Initrd, is a pre-linux package that boots before the actual root disk is
> enabled as a "ramdisk".  Its location is signaled to the boot tool, like grub.
>
> Initrd executes /linuxrc as its boot file.  It can be any executable, usually a
> shell script.  This one, however, is a c exectutable.  The binary, pivot_root
> brings you into the root f/s and then the /sbin/init is kicked off bringing you
> to the /etc/inittab.

So does that mean I don't need /linuxrc if I don't use a ramdisk (initrd) !?!?

My root fs is on a JFFS2 partition and I start my kernel from PPCBoot using
Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw

So no need for initrd and that's why no need for /linuxrc. Did I understand that
correctly?

Thanks,

Steven

> > BTW: Is there a way to search "The busybox Archives" ?
> >

> Sure, wget the whole bunch of them and make put in your own search tool and
> then update it w/ new emails ;) .
:o)