[BusyBox] RFC: giving respawn init actions a controlling tty?

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Oct 11 22:11:03 UTC 2002

On Mon Sep 30, 2002 at 03:24:28PM -0600, Erik wrote:
> I see two ways to solve this.  We can either give people a
> controlling tty for "respawn" init actions, or we can create a
> new type of init action, (i.e. "interactive-respawn") that does
> provide a controlling tty.  Thoughts?

In the end, after thinking carefully about the alternatives, I
even up applying a patch from Matt Kraai to always make respawn
actions try to provide a controlling tty.  I realized that
sysvinit doesn't provide controlling ttys, but that is simply
because it doesn't open ttys at all.  We do, so we should try to
make the ttys we open be controlling.  Sometimes I can be a bit
dense, but I think we now do the Right Thing(tm).

 -Erik