[BusyBox] System doesn't halt/reboot

John Hall john.hall at optionexist.co.uk
Fri Oct 11 03:59:03 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm using busybox 0.60.4 on a Strongarm running Linux 2.4.18-rmk7. My problem is that busybox init hangs during halt. The code in question is in shutdown_system():

    message(CONSOLE|LOG, "\n\rThe system is going down NOW !!\n");
    sync();

    /* Send signals to every process _except_ pid 1 */
    message(CONSOLE|LOG, "\rSending SIGTERM to all processes.\n");
    kill(-1, SIGTERM);
    sleep(1);			// <------- HANGS ON THIS LINE
    sync();

    message(CONSOLE|LOG, "\rSending SIGKILL to all processes.\n");
    kill(-1, SIGKILL);
    sleep(1);

Busybox just hangs at the first sleep. Would killing the kernel threads (keventd?) cause the sleep call to stop working?

I tried replacing the kill(-1, SIGTERM) with a series of kills to kill just my user-space processes (this leaves a lot of zombied processes) but the sleep then succeeds.

Has anyone come across a similar problem?

regards,
John Hall

--
OptionExist Limited.
The Irwin Centre, Scotland Road, Dry Drayton, Cambridge.