[BusyBox] Busybox doesn't find external programs

Michael Boman michael.boman at securecirt.com
Thu Nov 28 18:15:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 05:55:05PM -0000, JP Foster wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> First off, congratultions on this great wee product.
>
> I've got busybox up and running on my dev board. 1st time! magic!
> I esp like having vi on it.
>
> However when a try to run my application using  the ash prompt
> or the inittab it cannot be found.
>
> my app is in /bin, has execute permissions, was
> built statically. I can cat it.

Are you sure it was built staticly? Do 'ldd <filename>' on your
development system to make sure. If it is not built staticly you need to
make sure the relivant libraries are present.

> I'm confussed :)
>
> Perhaps it can't be run, as opposed to found but the
> message is
>
> /bin/snmpd: No such file or directory

I had a simular problem, where I had uClibc on the system, but my app
was linked to Glibc. I can understand that the error message is not very
helpful thought (could that be fixed?).

> It was compiled against glibc tho. Is that a problem?

As long it's static it contains all the libraries it needs.

> Thanks in advance.
> J.P.

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman
Security Architect, SecureCiRT (A SBU of Z-Vance Pte Ltd)