[BusyBox] ifup, ifdown applets

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon Nov 18 05:44:03 UTC 2002

Glenn McGrath wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:54:02 +0100
> Steven Scholz <steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > This way we could express some wishes! :o)
> >
> > So first: Do you think it's nessesary to use a pid file? I don't like
> > that since I am using JFFS2 as root fs and don't want too much writing
> > happen... And if the system crashes there are still old, invalid pid
> > files around...
> >
> Im not sure how important the pid file is, i assume its used for something
> :)
> I noticed that the current ifupdown also writes to /etc/network/ifstate
> which i think is pretty nasty, e.g. too bad if you want to mount root ro,
> i think it should write to /var/somewhere.
Yeah. I noticed that as well. Either have a "rm /etc/network/ifstate" in the
init script before doing "ifup" or use --force...

What's the difference between /var/somewhere and /etc/network/ifstate?

> > Third: What about using a default if DHCP fails? I want to use udhcpc
> > with option "-q, --quit Quit after obtaining lease" only on boot. So
> > when there's no network connection while booting the interface doesn't
> > get configured at all...
> >

> hmm, im not very keen on expanding its functionality, at least not yet, id
> rather concentrate on getting a nice/efficient implementation of the
> current ifupdown command first.
I see.

> And a request from me :)
>
> Unless there is some vital application for the "mapping" section of
> /var/network/interfaces im not going to implement it, it makes the file
> harder to parse as the whole file has to be read before any interfaces can
> be processed.
Fair enough.

> If defining mappings is important id rather it be done in a seperate file,
> or demand they are mentioned first in the interfaces file.
That's fine for me.

The mapping stuff is probably not that much needed in small busybox systems.

Cheers,

Steven