[BusyBox] Insmod quirk or not?

jmrobert5 at mchsi.com jmrobert5 at mchsi.com
Thu Nov 7 07:41:03 UTC 2002

Hi All,

I ran across this yesterday.  Trying to load a custom
kernel module using insmod with paramters.
BB ver is a stable snapshot just before 60.5 release.

/sbin/insmod tnnetwork.o io=0xb86 irq=7
macaddr="00:12:34:56:ac:bd"

Now if I type this on the ash command line it works.
If I run this exact line from a script it works.

But, if I put variables in a config file and read that
file and put it in a line like so,

#read config file
. /etc/network.conf
#run mod
/sbin/insmod tnnetwork.o io=$IO irq=$IRQ macaddr=\"$MAC\"

It fails.  Insmod reports and error, whereby it takes
everything after insmod as the module name and reports
an error,

insmod:  "args here".o errormsg

Replacing insmod with modprobe works.

Before I spend a lot of effort comparing the 2
functions, perhaps someone already knows of a reason it
behaves this way.

Regards,
JoeR
/jmr02/