[BusyBox] no init found...

David Morel david.morel at amakuru.net
Mon Nov 4 05:45:03 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this, so forgive me for being stupid...

I compiled uClic 0.9.15 and busybox 0.60.5 successfully against a custom
2.4.19 kernel. This is not for use on a boot floppy, but rather on a
small partition on hda, mounted on /embed for now

i did a make (with DEVEL_PREFIX set to /embed) and make install on
uClibc, and successfully built busybox with make
CC=/embed/bin/i386-uclibc-gcc && make PREFIX=/embed install

i can launch busybox with no problem, and an /embed/bin/i386-uclibc-ldd
busybox gives me the correct location for the dependencies.

Still when i try to boot on the named partition, the kernel loads fine
but the boot process invariably dies with :
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option blah blah.
...although the link /sbin/init points to busybox as it should.

Could anybody give me a hint ? This is driving me crazy... Thanks in
advance.

D.Morel