[BusyBox] strange problem with BBinit and root=

Joshua J. England jjengla at sandia.gov
Wed May 8 15:54:03 UTC 2002

I have the init =~ /linuxrc feature enabled in busybox.
#define BB_FEATURE_LINUXRC

Busybox v0.60.3 bails out showing usage info when I try to call /linuxrc
as init -- SOMETIMES!

The following kernel args work(ie: busybox calls /linuxrc): 'ip=dhcp'.

These args do not work: 'ip=dhcp root=/dev/ram0'.

These args work: 'ip=dhcp root=/dev/rd/0' (with devfs).

These args work: 'ip=dhcp root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc'

For some reason, when I pass 'root=/dev/ram0', it behaves as if the
BB_FEATURE_LINUXRC was turned off.  This wouldn't be such a big deal,
but i need to pass init=/bin/bash (for instance) for testing.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

-Josh

Josh England
Sandia National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
Distributed Information Systems
email: jjengla at sandia.gov
phone: (925) 294-2076