[BusyBox] syslogd circular buffer

Michael Sternberg MichaelS at boscom.com
Tue May 7 04:42:03 UTC 2002

--  -----Original Message-----
--  [mailto:busybox-admin at busybox.net] On Behalf Of Joerg Schmitz-Linneweber

--  > How big is circular buffer syslogd uses ?
--  So I would think ~16k :-)

Thanks

--  > What happens on shutdown ? Can I use some switch telling syslogd to
write this buffer to disk in case of TERM signal ?
--  Add a signal handler for SIGTERM then.

To syslogd.c source you mean ?

-- Or add an entry to your inittab which then needs to do IPC (like the
logread prog.) with your syslogd.

So why not to use real logread ? I've made a little script named
save_logs.sh consisting
of one command "logread > /var/log/messages".

Here are some lines my new /etc/inittab file:
::restart:/etc/init.d/save_logs.sh
::restart:/sbin/init
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/etc/init.d/save_logs.sh
::shutdown:/etc/init.d/rc 0

Well, it's not working. And can not - before init performs actions mentioned
in inittab
it send TERM and KILL to every process including syslogd. And logread from
my scripts
complains "Can't find circular buffer: no such file or directory". Sure -
syslogd is already dead at this time.

--  In the last case remember that entries with the same runlevel are
executed in the
--  *opposite* order as they appear in the file! (If I remember correctly)

I changed order of lines starting "restart" and "shutdown" - did not help.

--  > ... how can I increase interval between TERM and KILL signals that
halt issues  to every process ?
--  Or again add a "sleep 10" to your inittab...

What do you mean ? sleep between what two things ? As I can see from the
sources this interval is hard-coded as "sleep(1)" in init.c :(

--  Salut, J?rg

Thanx anyway