[BusyBox] Redirect console to /dev/pts/0

Brett Hunt huntbs at lycos.com
Mon May 6 17:36:03 UTC 2002

First time poster, yadda yadda.

I want to redirect (or simultaneously direct) all output from the console (/dev/console = /dev/tty0) to a telnet session. I'm doing driver development and I need to see the kernel messages. But the busybox system is an embedded one and so recompiling the kernel multiple times and recreating a compressed root image is a pain (and everyone tries to avoid pain).

I have a question. I've reviewed the archive. I've checked kernel documentation. And I tried Google groups.

What I've seen there, there is a kernel boot time option "console=" that should allow me to redirect the output to multiple consoles. The example was a serial port "ttyS0". Unfortunately, I don't have serial access to the machine.

I've seen a couple of solutions where someone compiled a special program to redirect output to the telnet session they were running or some lp0 or something else. But I'm hoping there is a simpler, more direct solution.

Part of my problem I'm guessing is that I'm using devfs and since init is running after devfs is mounted but before devfsd is running, I don't think it can find /dev/pts/0. I'm also not sure that the kernel will accept "console=pts/0" as a boot time option.

I know that other people have had similar issues and must have resolved them somehow.

So, this may be an incomplete description of the problem. So please ask me things that might help with formulating an answer.

Is there an easy (read: command-line option) way to redirect kernel messages and such to the current telnet session?
If not, what is the prefered, most direct, smallest automatible way of doing this?

System: P90
Kernel: 2.4.18 (patches: low-latency, preemptible kernel)
Busybox: 0.61pre 2002-01-28
Linux: Homegrown version with limited capability (restricted by size of boot device)
   has stripped down glibc, busybox, tinylogin, telnetd, netkit-base

Thanks,
Brett