[BusyBox] off topic: 'device table support' for mkcramfs?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 3 11:39:03 UTC 2002

In message <1020441510.7890.101.camel at pcjonashg> Jonas Holmberg wrote:

> mkcramfs is invoked with "-m metafilename" which makes it look for files
> named "metafilename" in each directory before processing it. The /dev/
> directory, for example, contains one that looks like this:
>
> Device: ram0 b 1 0
> GroupId: ram0 6 (disk)
> Device: ram1 b 1 1
> GroupId: ram1 6 (disk)
> Device: null c 1 3
> Device: zero c 1 5
> Device: random c 1 8
> Device: urandom c 1 9
> Device: ptyp0 c 2 0
> GroupId: ptyp0 5 (tty)
> Device: ptyp1 c 2 1
> GroupId: ptyp1 5 (tty)
> Device: ptyp2 c 2 2

What surprises me a bit is the fact that file permissions  cannot  be
specified  that  way.  It  should  be trivial to add, so is there any
reason you didn't do this?

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"There are things that are so serious that you can  only  joke  about
them"                                                    - Heisenberg