[BusyBox] off topic: 'device table support' for mkcramfs?

Geoffrey Espin espin at idiom.com
Fri May 3 11:01:03 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:58:30PM +0200, Jonas Holmberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 17:16, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > All of us embedded folks should decide on the One True Way(tm)
> > Am I correct in understanding that your metafiles are used the
> > same was as the device_table support I added when I rewrote
> > mkfs.jffs2, but merely differ in syntax?
> Yes, we have been using metafiles for years. Unfortunately noone has
> mkcramfs is invoked with "-m metafilename" which makes it look for files
> named "metafilename" in each directory before processing it. The /dev/
> directory, for example, contains one that looks like this:

First, thanks for publishing the mkcramfs patch.

Maybe superficially, but it seems that there is nothing that that
metafiles offers over the much simpler device_table scheme.  One
could easily generate a device_table by adding a script into the
Makefile to walk the tree looking for metafiles, then delete the
metafiles.  Or conversely, I suppose (generate metafiles from a
device_table).

Geoff
--
Geoffrey Espin