[BusyBox] FLoppy Distro

Richard June rjune at imagestream.com
Thu Jan 17 12:54:05 UTC 2002

I started w/ a RH install floppy.
from there, do this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=initrd.img bs=1024k count=4
losetup /dev/loop0 initrd.img
mkfs /dev/loop0
mkdir ramdisk
mount /dev/loop0 ramdisk
cd ramdisk
Create your filesystem.(the less modifications you make, the better)
cd ..
umount ramdisk
losetup -d /dev/loop0
gzip -9 initrd.img
then mount the floppy disk and replace initrd.img on it with your
initrd.img.gz(rename yours)

some things to watch out for:
1: the more you muck with your ramdisk image, the worse it will
compress. what I do is after I create the filesystem, make a tarball(tar
-cf ../initrd.tar *) then unmount the directory, zero out my image
file(dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/loop0), make a new fs on it(mkfs
/dev/loop0), go back into the directory and extract my tarball(tar -xf
../initrd.tar). This is the best way I've found to do it. otherwise you
can quickly find yourself running out of precious space on that floppy.
2: Blank disk space is cheap. if you want some free space, go for it a
mostly empty 32MB ramdisk compresses to ~600k if you have any other
questions... ask!

--
Richard June (rjune at imagestream.com)
msn          : rolfan__ at hotmail.com  |  aim          : ISisSupport