[BusyBox] Problems with cpio and SCSI tape

Jez Rogers jez at jezndi.org
Thu Jan 3 16:53:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Laurence Anderson wrote:

> I've been looking at the GNU cpio/tar source, and I think it might be
> because you can only read a block at once on a tape drive (512 bytes?),
> whereas we might try to read a few bytes at a time.
>
> Anybody agree/disagree?

Seams sensible. I mostly use the -B option (block size 5120 bytes) but
I've also tried without (i.e. 512 bytes). Regular cpio doesn't seem to
care when reading, what option was used to create the archive.

ISTR that maybe the defualt block size should be be 512.

I'm happy to test out any patches etc.