[BusyBox] broken link

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Feb 8 15:55:04 UTC 2002

On Thu Feb 07, 2002 at 06:08:24PM -0700, Jeff Studer wrote:

> How long ago did busybox.net change its IP?  I'm just curious because
> I'd swear I've had this 'problem' for over a week.

About 2 months ago a DNS update went out that was munged by the
broken NAT implementation on a Cisco 675 router such that it 1)
pointed to rikers.org (the box of a friend of mine who is
providing primary DNS for me) and 2) had the TTL field set to 0.
Shortly thereafter I realized what the problem was and
implemented a workaround.

In theory, that should not have been a problem since setting a
record's TTL (time to live) to zero, means that applications and
DNS servers are not allowed to cache the record.  This seems to
be where theory breaks down.  Some name server implementations
don't accept TTLs set to zero, and internally change things to 10
minutes.  Apparently certain other name servers get this one
_very_ _very_ wrong and seem to cache such record forever!

 -Erik