[BusyBox] TAKE 2: Message on Startup: "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

Frank Hammond frankham69 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 23 19:20:05 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I tried posting this message earlier but didn't get a reply, but would still
like to resolve my query.

I have just made a boot disk using kernel-2.4.19 and Busybox-0.60.5 for the
utils.

I am using a near minimal Busybox / Bootdisk setup as follows:

1. I have no inittab file, leaving Busybox to run with it's defaults
parameters.

2. I have left Busybox with it's built-in shell

3. I have compiled the built-in ls Busybox function to use as my bootdisk
editor program

4. I am using devfs (tried both old and new naming conventions) and devfsd
to manage my devices. Also, I have no devices on my bootdisk, allowing devfs
to create them as required once the system starts booting.

The boot disk seems to work ok in general, however when it starts up the
last message that shows before the shell prompt is:

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

 I believe this is a Busybox message but I don't know whether this message
is an error. Can anyone explain what the comments mean?? Is "job control
turned off" something important???

 Thanks in advance,

 Frank

---