[BusyBox] Re: Non-CONFIG options

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Sat Dec 14 01:11:03 UTC 2002

Hi Erik,

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 03:21:54PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> I rather like not having to put "CONFIG_" in front of everything.  I
> had to hack up kconfig to make it not require that, so I must say I'm
> reluctant to lose that ability.  How about we teach your kconfig
> system to also lose the artificial "CONFIG_" requirement.  It makes
> the system much more usable IMHO.

The idea behind that was that I wanted to be able to have namespaces. My
ptxdist¹ tool configures packages which are based on

- normal makefiles (like utelnetd)
- autoconf (like glibc)
- cml1 (like RTAI, Linux-2.4)
- kconfig (ptxdist, uClibc, busybox)

The probability that for example the kernel and busybox define the same
config variable somewhere in this large tree is given, so having
namespaces seems reasonable to me.

I've also hacked kconfig, so the ptxdist variables are prefixed by
PTXCONF_. The makefiles have sections for extract, prepare, compile,
install and target_install. When I integrate a new busybox version I
extract all Config.in files from the tree and fix them by replacing
CONFIG_ by BB_. My global configuration replaces this into
PTXDIST_BB_FOO for the configuration stage. When running the prepare
part all lines with PTXDIST_BB_ are extracted, replaced by CONFIG_ and
put as .config into the BusyBox directory. This worked fine until the
kconfig transition came...

> It will probably not happen till next week when I take a bit of time
> off for the Christmas holiday,

No problem, I'll also have to do some cleanup work before I have a
releasable version.

Robert

¹ it's just a working title, better names are welcome
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4