[BusyBox] Relocation errors loading modules

William A. Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Thu Dec 12 10:28:04 UTC 2002

Guys:

This may be a Busybox question...

I'm using busybox-0.60.4's insmod program to load a module, and I'm
getting relocation overflows.  The build machine is a RH73 PC, the
target is running Linux-2.4.18-mips.

On my GNU/Linux workstation:
# mips-uclibc-gcc -c -O2 -Wall -fno-pic -mno-abicalls -o chardev chardev.c

On the linux-mips target (big endian):
# insmod chardev
Using ./chardev
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for sprintf
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for sprintf
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for register_chrdev
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for unregister_chrdev
insmod: Relocation overflow of type 4 for printk

# cat /proc/ksyms | grep printk
8010f764 printk
# cat /proc/ksyms | grep sprintf
8023cdd8 sprintf
8023cdb4 vsprintf
# cat /proc/ksyms | grep register_chrdev
80136bac register_chrdev
80136c50 unregister_chrdev

Any ideas?  I'm running gcc-3.2.1, binutils-2.13.1.  Busybox was
compiled with uClib-0.9.16.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems and Free Software.  Yea, it *is* all that!