[BusyBox] Re: busybox udhcpc

Russ Dill Russ.Dill at asu.edu
Tue Aug 20 11:08:03 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 02:05, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Ive had a go at converting udhcpc to a busybox applet.
>
> udhcpc is 18.5kB standalone, compiled into busybox it adds about 11kB so
> it saves 7kB.

saving space is always good

> Im thinking it could be usefull atleast for the debian-installer

its been considered before, the only problem being, I receive emails on
the linux-arm-kernel from time to time saying that the client doesn't
work in their setup, I ask for network dumps and debugging info, but
never receive it...may just be they can't get networking working.

> I havent tested it yet, it compiles without errors however i think there
> may be a problem in there as discover appears to be sending out packets
> faster.
>
> The only changes ive made is to use xstrlen, xmalloc, and moved a few
> functions that were only used once.

again, this won't really reduce the code size unless you are linking
statically, you need to replace things like the forking code, the pid
handling code, the logging code, the exit code, the command line
handling code, and possibly a few others with bb functions.