[BusyBox] Re: [uClibc]Question on syslogd/uclibc compatibility

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Mon Aug 5 05:20:05 UTC 2002

On Mon Jul 29, 2002 at 12:18:59PM -0400, Joel Coltoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My purpose here is to start a dialog and solicit input from those
> more knowledgeable than me. I recently switched over to uclibc
> and my syslog doesn't work anymore. login messages are written
> to the console and other messages are written to the great beyond.
>
> The CVS logs for uClibc/libc/misc/syslog/syslog.c show a change from
> opening the socket as SOCK_STREAM to SOCK_DGRAM. The latest CVS
> of busybox/sysklogd/syslogd.c still has the socket created as SOCK_STREAM.

You are correct.  I just saw that this eveing and I've now
changed syslogd to match what sysklogd does (and uClibc now
does) so it now uses SOCK_DGRAM as it should.

> I took a ***quick*** peek at the code for glibc and it looks like
> it first tries SOCK_DGRAM and if that fails tries SOCK_STREAM.
>
> There's a few issues here. We want uClibc to stay small so that argues
> against a retry mechanism. However we want to be able to recompile old
> releases and keep them working. What's the best approach to fixing
> this? Or do I have it completely wrong and it works for everyone but me?

I don't really want to do the retry plan.  It is best for people
upgrading uClibc to also upgrade busybox at the same time.  This
(and the piles of other fixes now in CVS) does make a strong
argument for getting a new busybox 0.60.4 stable release out....
And getting 0.61 released soon would be a good idea as well.  It
has been cooking quite long enough now I think.

 -Erik