[BusyBox] RE: busybox digest, Vol 1 #914 - 12 msgs

Joseph Chiu josephc at idealab.com
Thu Aug 1 12:52:03 UTC 2002

Joel Coltoff wrote:

> What compilers do mipsel users use that work with both the kernel and
> busybox when using libc?

Well, I used my own hand-built gcc-3.0.4 right now to build the kernel, and
to build mipsel-uclibc-gcc.  I then use mipsel-uclibc-gcc to build all of
my apps.

> I've got uClibc running as a cross compiler on my development
> machine. Now I'd like to use it to compile itself so I can run it
> from my MIPS.

Yup, did that too.  IIRC, I built a cross-compiling mipsel-linux-gcc on my
PC, used that to build a mipsel-native mipsel-linux-gcc.  I used that to
build everything else.

You might want to check out Erik's latest tools at www.uclibc.org for
building
toolchains from scratch.

Also, I've found that it sometimes helps to build static (not shared
library)
busybox to get things started.  What I do is run ash under the static
busybox,
and then run my shared-library busybox from there.

Good luck.