[BusyBox] question about inittab

trevor t_list at vtnet.ca
Fri Apr 26 11:28:03 UTC 2002

hi everyone (again),

i have a couple more observations about inittab that i'd like to ask about.
the first time i tried busybox was with version 0.9.9. when i tried making a
filesystem/kernel with /dev/pts support i would get "device '/dev/ttyN' does
not exist" error messages scrolling up my screen continuously until i did a
couple "mknod"'s to fix the problem. (2 <= N <= 4) so i switched away from
/dev/pts.

recently i wanted to figure out why i had had that earlier problem so i
created another filesystem/kernel combo with /dev/pts and the problem was
gone! at that time i thought all my fiddling had fixed the issue. also,
busybox was up to version 0.9.11. i figured some combination of these issues
fixed the problem for me.

but i think i'm wrong.

i need to create my own inittab now, one with some getty's. so i created the
"default" one, one with lines like:

::askfirst:/bin/sh
tty2::askfirst:/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:/bin/sh
tty4::askfirst:/bin/sh

and the "device ... does not exist" problem is back. so i replaced those
lines with:

::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty4::askfirst:-/bin/sh

and the problem is still there. if i delete (or move) the inittab file (so
the default is invokes) the problem goes away.

if i remove the tty2-4 lines then the problem goes away, but then i only end
up with one console.

any ideas? as a work-around i guess i could just put a couple of lines in my
rcS file to create these nodes on bootup.

please note that this isn't a pressing issue. like i said, i could just add
some lines to my rcS file, so if you have better things to look into then do
those instead. i'm just curious. looking at the init.c code doesn't reveal
anything to me about the dash.

best regards,
	trevor
--
please remove the underscore if you want to email me