[BusyBox] nothing after busybox startup

Andrew Dixon andrew.dixon at seranoa.com
Fri Sep 14 07:20:19 UTC 2001

zombit wrote:
<snip>

> if /dev/ttyS0 don't exist, everything is correct.
> if /dev/ttyS0 exists,

What exactly is the problem?  What do you mean by everything is correct?

> Starting kernel ...
> [SKIP]
> Freeing init memory: 172K
> serial console detected.  Disabling virtual terminals.
> init started:  BusyBox v0.60.0 (2001.08.28-20:31+0000) multi-call binary

Again, what is the problem.  What is your expected result and what is
your actual result?

> message after Busybox startup is disappear.
> but I know my rcS file have it's job done,
> dut to my rcS brings eth0 up,
> I can ping it from another manchine, so..
>
> I also check my defconfig file, include this line:
> CONFIG_CMDLINE="keepinitrd console=ttySA0"

It seems like your trying to get a console on the serial line.  You need
to:
	*make sure you have support for console on serial line in the
kernel
	*create /dev/ttyS0
	*add something like:
		ttyS0::askfirst:/bin/sh
	to your /etc/inittab.  (Look in the mailing list archives.  I had
this problem a little while ago and a working inittab was posted
then.)
	*look at ./docs/BusyBox.html

hth,
Andy