[BusyBox] Strange trouble

David Hollister david at digitalaudioresources.org
Thu Sep 13 08:36:51 UTC 2001

Greetings,

I am working on a system that has been running for some time using busybox 0.46
without any problem.  The busybox provides a few routines at init time for us.
I have upgraded to busybox 0.60.1.  I don't think the version I am running has
had any affect on the problem I'm seeing.  I'm not even sure this is the right
place for it, but I figure there may be some people here who have seen something
similar.  Forgive me if this is off-topic.

The old system was based on a RedHat 6.2 distro using busybox 0.46 for init time
stuff.  The new version is using a RedHat 7.1 distro with busybox 0.60.1.

The system runs on a CDROM.  When the system boots off the CDROM, the kernel
runs "/busybox/init" (from "append=/busybox/init" in the lilo.conf file).  This
is the standard sysvinit.  It kicks off an rc script that we wrote that does
very minimal stuff.  It mounts the CDROM filesystem and runs ldconfig.  That's
about it.  When it completes, there is another rc script that runs at runlevel 3.

During this first rc script, on one computer (A K6-2/350 running on a DFI
K6BV3+MB), ldconfig and mount are called out by the rc script and all I get is a
message from the busybox shell saying "Illegal instruction".  Nothing more.  For
the same reason, when it comes time to go to runlevel 3, it fails to run the rc
script.  On a PIII-950 system with a Supermicro MB (unknown model #), I do not
see this problem.  It runs the non-busybox apps from the CDROM just fine.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for your help.

--
David Hollister
Driversoft Engineering:  http://devicedrivers.com