[BusyBox] Layoff at Lineo...

Adam Heath doogie at debian.org
Mon Sep 10 19:29:49 UTC 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, David Douthitt wrote:

> David Kimdon wrote:
>
> > I doubt busybox/uclibc/tinylogin would need to move again, the only thing
> > that would cause that would be Debian disappearing; Debian has a fairly
> > long history hostory already and it will exist as long as there are people
> > happy to work on it.
>
> Never say never.  Recently SuSe had to be bailed out of near-bankruptcy,
> and VA made drastic cuts that appeared to threaten SourceForge, and now
> Lineo went through not one but two serious cutbacks.  What (or who) is
> next?

Debian is neither connected to money, or a single entity.  We have moved most
services around, so that only one provider/hoster is doing one major
service(brainfood is an exception, we host lists.d.o and bugs.d.o).

At several times in our(debian's) past we have had to move major services
between providers, even so far as going across country/continent lines.  I
don't think debian will disappear 'in an instant.'