[BusyBox] Re: Working on "hush" extensions?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 25 16:41:03 UTC 2001

Dear Larry,

in message <20011025141840.A3549 at recycle.lbl.gov> you wrote:

> I have dreams of getting back to it someday, but I can tell that
> someday is not very soon.

I know how that feels. I have several similar things "sleeping".

> That's the worst defect I've seen yet.

;-)

> Very minor variation on the first.  Makes sense when you understand
> that hush does all its variable substitutions on its first pass through
> the line, so the value left over from the previous command is uses in
> both $foo instances.  This is also what kills any possibility of a
> useful "for" command.

Yes, I understood this. And I know that it's non-trivial to fix.  But
we  urgently  need  some "real shell" in PPCBoot, and we need a small
one. And to allow for short commands I need one  that  understand  &&
and  ||.  And  msh is too difficult to adapt for our limited environ-
ment. So it seems we are stuch with hush...

> There are some nuggets of good design embedded in hush.  Unfortunately,
> Bourne shell-compatible variable expansion is not one of them.  You are
> certainly welcome to adapt and bug fix the code, and yes I would be
> interested in seeing what you come up with.  Scratch your itch!
> Hush will be better for it.

OK, we will go for it, and I'll send you patches then.

Thanks!

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Let's say the docs present a simplified view of reality...    :-)
                      - Larry Wall in  <6940 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>