[BusyBox] Init problems...

Young, Jeremy jeremy.young at cccnetsys.com
Tue Oct 23 06:18:43 UTC 2001

I have a problem with busybox init... At least, I think I do!

My system runs on Compact Flash with an initrd that holds the basic file
system. At bootup I do the usual run-through of scripts to load keymaps,
syslog, network drivers, routed, cron, mouse driver and my two custom
applications.

One of my applications runs from an /etc/rc.d/init.d script on /dev/tty2 and
it works no problem
My second application has to run on /dev/tty1 (due to some strange behaviour
of stty binary mode (-pass8)) and WAS being launched as the last script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d using the command "open -c 1 -- <application>"

This was all working fine until I started adding a few more scripts and now
I appear to have some sort of a timing issue that I can only put down to
init.

If I make a minor configuration change (say, for example, change of mouse
type, or change of "Unicon" input method) then whenever my application that
is designed to run in /dev/tty1 is executed its output is invisible. despite
it being opened with "open -c 1" and the /proc/<pid>/fd directory entries
0,1 both pointing to /dev/tty1, and the app. appearing in "ps", there is no
on-screen output.

If I vary things by putting in the odd "sleep 1" command, or moving the
launch position from the /etc/rc.d/init.d script to a single line at the end
of my rcS file then I can get success but again, it's ropey, change round
configs and it doesn't work.

It would appear that somehow the process is not properly inheriting
/dev/tty1 - or perhaps that the application isn't being launched despite it
appearing on the process list. I have added a "ps" statement to the very end
of rc.local and, configuration dependent, it sometimes doesn't show my
application despite me placing various echo statements around the lines that
launch it.

I'm sorry to appear so vague - if anyone can suggest anything I may be doing
wrong - or another way of launching my application on /dev/tty1 at startup
please shout because after 3 days this is driving me up the wall! I've been
using busybox perfectly happily for months but since moving from 0.40 to
0.60.1 and having to rewrite inittab I have had no end of problems.

BTW, my inittab:

tty1::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rcS
::respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 ttyS1
tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 tty3
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r

Thanks!

Jeremy Young

The information in this Internet email is confidential and intended for the sole use of the addressee/addressees.  Access, copying, disclosure or re-use, in any way, of the information contained in this email by anyone other than the addressee/addressees is unauthorised Internet communication and not secure.

We accept no legal responsibility for the content of the message.  Any opinions or views presented are solely the responsibility of the author and do not necessarily represent those of CCC Network Systems, Inc.

If you have received this email in error, please return it to postmaster at cccnetsys.com and the sender.

CCC Network Systems, Inc. may monitor the content of emails sent and received via its network for the purposes of ensuring its compliance with its policies and procedures.

This message has been checked on behalf of CCC Network Systems for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre but we do not certify it to be virus-free.