[BusyBox] help! with reboot/halt problems please

Luke luke_epsilon at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 12:55:34 UTC 2001

Hello all!

I have not been able to figure out why I cannot reboot my embedded system using busybox. It is
imperative for this project that I can remotely reboot the system from time to time - I am VERY
stuck on this.  The system cpu is a little embedded ZFMicro 486 and the kernel is 2.4.8-ac20.
Busybox was compiled straight out of the tarball with no modifications (using glibc 2.2.4)  I just
got the latest busybox from CVS last night (I have tried 60.1 also with the same results). When I
type reboot or halt I just get a prompt back after a very brief pause.

If I try to directly kill the init process - which is what it seems
the code for reboot is trying to do I get the following:

# ps
  PID  Uid     Stat Command
    1 0         R    [swapper]
    2 0         S    [keventd]
    3 0         S    [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
    4 0         S    [kswapd]
    5 0         S    [kreclaimd]
    6 0         S    [bdflush]
    7 0         S    [kupdated]
    8 0         S    [mtdblockd]
    9 0         S    init
   29 0         S    -sh
   36 0         R    ps

# kill -SIGTERM 9

The system is going down NOW !!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.
Terminated
# Sending SIGKILL to all prPlease stand by while rebooting the system.
Restarting system.

At this point the system freezes and never comes back.

Any ideas - I just don't know what to try next?

Thanks,
Luke